Sunday, 11 March 2012

Best Gluten Free bread I have tasted so far.



In September 2009, on the recommendations of a Naturopath (I had consulted due to my constant lack of energy) I went on a Gluten Free Diet. During that time, what I missed the most was BREAD!!! Being French, bread is almost like oxygen to me. So imagine my relief when 3 weeks into the diet I found out I was pregnant and thought that tiredness was a bi- product of the pregnancy. That was my excuse to drop the Diet and indulge in bread and some more bread....
When my son turned one I noticed the tiredness was getting worse. I guess anyone with a toddler would tell you that this is normal but not for me. I consulted an Acupuncturist who told me again that my consumption of gluten containing foods and foods containing dairy. So I decided to go on a gluten and dairy free diet... and I will never again miss bread thanks to the below recipe: (can also be found here: http://simplysugarandglutenfree.com/perfect-bread/





Perfect Gluten-Free Breadmakes 1 9″ x 5″ loaf
1 cup of sorghum flour
1 cup of chickpea flour
1/2 cup potato starch (cornflour for me)
1/3 cup of tapioca flour
2 1/4 teaspoon (7 grams) xanthan gum
1 tablespoon (12 grams) palm sugar
1 packet (7 grams) dry instant yeast
1 1/4 cup (289 grams) warm water
2 extra (113 grams) large eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup (50 grams) canola oil
1 teaspoon (5 grams) apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 teaspoon (7 grams) kosher salt
Prepare a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan with cooking spray.  Line with parchment paper if desired.  Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Whisk together the flour blend, xanthan gum, palm sugar, and instant yeast.  Set aside.
Put the water, eggs, oil, and vinegar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix until combined.  Add the dry ingredients except the salt and mix on low until incorporated.  Increase to medium high and mix for a minute.  Turn off, add the salt, and mix for two minutes more.
Turn the batter into the prepared loaf pan.  Place in a warm place for an hour to rise, or until the loaf just about doubles in size.  (Don’t let it rise more than double it’s original size or it might collapse in the oven.)
Score the bread with a sharp, serrated knife if desired.  Bake for 45 – 55 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the loaf sounds hollow when you tap it.  Let it cool for 5 minutes in the pan then turn the loaf pan on its side, scoot the loaf forward so the steam can escape – but leave it in the pan.  Let it cool for another 10 – 15 minutes the move to a wire rack to cool completely.
To store, wrap with plastic and keep at room temperature for up to 3 days.  Freeze any leftovers for toast or gluten-free bread crumbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment