Tuesday, 1 May 2012

Gluten and dairy free stuffed crepes



I was sick last week and my wonderful husband made a delicious chicken and vegetable soup. However he did make enough to feed a small army. So what do you do with leftover soup. Well among other things: stuffed crepes. I made the gluten free version for me and a "normal" one for the boys.

I can only give you the recipe for the crepes and the bechamel for the filling but sorry the secret is jealously kept for the soup (if I ever get it from my husband I will post it).

For the crepes:
- 1/3 cup of buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup of water chestnut flour
- 1/3 cup of quinoa flour
- 2 Tbsp of almond flour
- 3 Tbsp of rice flour
- 1 cup of buttermilk (1 cup of soy milk mixed a tsp of rice vinegar)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of soy milk
- 1/2 cup of water (my dough was more of a pancake dough so I loosened it with water)
- 2 Tbsp of oil (I used canola oil)

Easy peasy from here: mix all the dry ingredients together. In a jug, mix all the wet ingredients together. Pour the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. Mine looked very liquid but it cooked nicely.
Heat a non stick frying pan and  spray with oil or melt a little nob of butter. I used 2 big tablespoons of batter for the size of my pan. Cook the first side until you can easily lift up the crepe, around 2 minutes, flip it and cook for another minute or 2.

For the bechamel:
- 1/2 cup of soy milk
- 1 cup of chicken broth (from the leftover soup)
- 4 Tblsp of rice flour
- 1 Tblsp of dairy free butter (I use avocado Olivani)

Put the milk and butter into a pan and heat until almost boiling. Slowly add the flour and whisk to avoid any lumps. (if you do get some, you might want to strain your sauce). Place it into a bowl to cool.
Once cool, add the rest of your filling ( for us veggies and chicken), stir.

Assembly:
- Crepes
- Filling
- Anything else you might feel like (I used goat cheese for mine despite being dairy I don't feel ill with this one), you could use herbs, chilli, ...

Spread the crepe, add a generous Tablespoon of the filling and flip the bottom of the crepe over the filling, then do the same with the sides and finally the top. It should look like a little parcel.

Place in the oven preheat at 150 Degree C and warm through for about 20 minutes and serve.

Note: you can put anything in the crepes. Any suggestions?

Happy Baking everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment