Tuesday, 22 May 2012

Say "Thank You" with shortbread cookies, raspberry jam and chocolate fondant...

First the story behind those cookies.
On Sunday I lost my phone with some pictures and movies of my Son I hadn't had time to back up yet. I was devastated. So Sunday was mainly about contacting phone companies, and other agencies to have the number blocked, the GPS tracked and all that. On Monday, it appeared I had no choice but looking for another phone and kiss goodbye to those precious recorded moments with my Son. So I picked up my Husband from work, and off we went to the mall to acquire yet another device. With not much enthusiasm I got a new one and we made our way home for dinner.
We must have been home for a half hour when my Husband's phone rang and the "Miracle" happened. Some very nice people had found it on Sunday but it was out of battery so they recharged it all day on Monday and called to track down the owner. I was overjoyed!
We arranged to pick it up today at their place. I just could not show up with nothing. So I made those delicious chocolate shortbreads with a little dollop of raspberry jam covered with chocolate fondant. Something was still missing... The most important: "THANK YOU". 


So here is the recipe (inspired by Edmonds cookbook shortbread recipe):

Ingredients:
- 300g of butter at room temp.
- 1 cup of icing sugar
- 1 cup of cornflour
- 2 cup of plain flour
- 3/4 cup of cocoa powder
- Raspberry jam
- Chocolate fondant

Beat the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy.

In another bowl, sift the flour, cornflour and cocoa powder together.

Add the above mix to the butter mixture. Knead until the dough comes together. I generally let my dough rest in the fridge for a little bit (no more than 30 minutes) just becasue I find that the dough is easier to manage. But that's only me.

Preheat your oven to 150Degree C.

On a lightly floured board, roll the dough out to about 1 cm thick. Cut with cookie cutter and place on a baking sheet.

Bake for 30 minutes. Be careful the shortbread are still very fragile. I would recommend not to touch them, instead handle them very delicately with a spatula or leave them alone for about 3 to 5 minutes once out of the oven until they "harden"a little. Place them onto a cooling rack until completely cool.

Prepare your fondant cut out. I made mine small squares. Cover the cookie side of the fondant with raspberry jam and stick it onto the cookie.


The more  I look at those, the more I like them even though this is not my best pipping work but mainly because my Son helped me make them from preparation to pipping. Thank you Honey Puff! 5KRQTXSQS2X4

Happy Baking everyone :)


No comments:

Post a Comment